- Psalm 138:2
- (KJV) I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for
thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word
above all thy name.
- (1611 KJV) I will worship towards thy holy temple, and praise thy
name, for thy louing kindnesse and for thy trueth: for thou hast
magnified thy word aboue all thy name.
- Counterfeit Versions
(CSB) I will bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your
name for your constant love and truth. You have exalted your name and your
promise above everything else.
- (NIV) I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name
for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things
your name and your word.
- (NASV) I will bow down toward Your holy temple And give thanks to Your
name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth; For You have magnified Your
word according to all Your name.
- (THE MESSAGE) I kneel in worship facing your holy temple and say it
again: "Thank you!" Thank you for your love, thank you for your
faithfulness; Most holy is your name, most holy is your Word.
- (NLT) I bow before your holy Temple as I worship. I praise your name for
your unfailing love and faithfulness; for your promises are backed by all
the honor of your name.
- (ESV) I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name
for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above
all things your name and your word.
- (CEV) I worship at your holy temple and praise you for your love and
your faithfulness. You were true to your word and made yourself more famous
than ever before.
- (CEV) I will bow down facing your holy Temple, and I will thank you for
your love and loyalty. You have made your name and your word greater than
- (HCSB) I will bow down toward Your holy temple and give thanks to Your
name for Your constant love and faithfulness. You have exalted Your name and
Your promise above everything else.
- (RSV) I bow down toward thy holy temple and give thanks to thy name for
thy steadfast love and thy faithfulness; for thou hast exalted above
everything thy name and thy word.
(NAB-Roman Catholic) I bow low toward your holy temple; I praise your name
for your fidelity and love. For you have exalted over all your name and your
- Affected Teachings
- In this verse of Scripture, God is making it very plain to us that His
Word can be trusted. In fact, He enforces that by stating that He has
magnified His word above His name. This gives us great assurance that
whatever God has written in His Word will surely come to pass and none of it
is written without reason, even though we may not understand many passages.
Remember, it was through the Word of God that Jesus overcame the three
temptations that Satan placed before Him and that is the great power of the
Word and God wants us to know that it is the same Word which carries the
same power today to bring us into victory in any circumstance. The modern
versions tend to dilute this truth which God is pointing out to us. Let us
stay with the King James Bible because this is the Word which carries the
truth and brings us through tough times because it is the undiluted Word of