Is Your Church Going Purpose Driven?
How Can You tell?
- In the past ten years a large percentage of churches in America, and
in other countries have changed from a traditional New Testament church
model to a contemporary Purpose Driven model, many with sorrowful
- Contrary to Purpose Driven Church propaganda, millions have been
leaving their churches after the change occurred. It is important that
every church member know if their church is targeted for a Purpose
Driven Church takeover. Initially, a small clique of church staff,
possibly including the pastor or a new pastor, plans the change without
telling the rest of the church membership.
- Church Transitions, an associate of Saddleback Church in California,
trains the clique initiating the change in eight published steps. The
church membership is not to be informed of the transition until the
fourth step. After the sixth step in the process of change, if there are
some in the church who voice concerns, the following is suggested:
- 1. Identify those who are resisting the changes;
- 2. Assess the effectiveness of their opposition;
- 3. Befriend those who are undecided about the changes;
- 4. Marginalize more persistent resisters;
- 5. Vilify those who stay and fight; and
- 6. Establish new rules that will silence all resistance.
- This means the church membership is not told until it is too late to
make a difference. In other words, the church is stolen. Then the
members either accept the changes, or leave the church, which they may
have served and given to build.
- Dr. Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Church" and
"The Purpose Driven Life" has boasted: "When you reveal the vision
to the church, the old pillars are going to leave. But let them leave...
they only hold things up."
- Dr. Warren is right in one way. It is the senior members of the
church who do indeed hold a church up and keep it from falling into
apostasy. While some PDC initiators may not implement the full PDC
format, generally, these are the signs that your church is targeted for
a Purpose Driven Church format:
- 1. Change in music to a contemporary rock style.
- 2. Removal of hymn books; eliminating the choir.
- 3. Replacement of organ and piano with heavy metal instruments.
- 4. Repetitive singing of praise lyrics.
- 5. Dressing down to casual and informal attire.
- 6. Eliminating of business meetings, church committees, council of
elders, board of deacons, etc.
- 7. The pastor, or a new leader with a few assistants, usually four,
takes charge of all church business.
- 8. A repetitive 40-day Purpose Driven Church study program stressing
psychological relationships with each other, the community, or the world, begins.
- 9. Funded budgeted programs are abandoned, or ignored, with
ambiguous financial reports made.
- 10. Sunday morning, evening, and/or Wednesday prayer meetings are
changed to other times; some may even be eliminated.
- 11. Sunday School teachers are moved to different classes, or
replaced by new teachers more sympathetic with the changes being implemented.
- 12. The name "Sunday School" is dropped and classes are given new
- 13. Crosses and other traditional Christian symbols may be moved
from both the inside and outside of the church buildings. The pulpit may also be removed.
- 14. In accordance with Dr. Warrenís instructions, new version Bibles
are used; or only verses flashed on a screen are referenced during regular services.
- 15. Purpose Driven Church films, purchased from Saddleback, precede
or are used during regular services.
- 16. The decor, including the carpets, may be changed to eliminate
any resemblance to the former church.
- 17. The word "church" is often taken from the name of the church,
and the church may be called a "campus". Denominational names may also be removed.
- 18. An emphasis on more fun and party sessions for the youth.
- 19. Elimination of altar calls or salvation invitations at the close
of the services.
- 20. The elimination of such words as "unsaved", "lost", "sin",
"Hell", "Heaven" and other Gospel verities from the pastorís messages.
- 21. The reclassification of the saved and lost to the "churched" and
- 22. The marginalizing, or ostracizing, of all who are not avid
promoters of the new Purpose Driven Program.
- 23. Closed meetings between the pastor or chosen staff members
without any reports made to the general membership.
- 24. Open hostility to members who do not openly embrace the new
program, or who may have left for another church.
- What You Can Do
- If your church is in the initial stages of change (music or the
first 40-day program), your church could be saved by talking with other
church members, and with activist intervention by 10-20 percent of the
membership. If nothing is done at this early stage, then by the time the
program advances to step four, there is little that can be done except
look for another church. Your church has been stolen and become a
Purpose Driven entity in association with Saddleback Church of Orange
County or Willow Creek of Chicago.
- You must educate yourself, and others, so that you can mobilize the
membership to effectively resist. "For God hath not given us the
spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" 2
- The Purpose Driven Church books and most of the programs are
published by Rupert Murdoch, who owns 175 newspapers worldwide, and a
large percentage of the television and communications industry. He also
owns several magazines, some of which have been classified as
- Billions of dollars pour into the Purpose Driven Church movement.
Dr. Warren has stated he intends to send one billion Christians into the
world to bring in the "Kingdom of Heaven". The entire movement appears
- Donít be fooled by the Saddleback Website. You donít catch many fish
unless you have a look-alike bait!
The following may or may not be available:
- Copied from printed pamphlet from: Southwest Radio Church
Ministries, Box 100, Bethany, Oklahoma 73008, 1-800-652-1144,
- For more-in-depth information order the book: "The Dark Side of the Purpose Driven Church", by N.W. Hutchings