- Psalm 60:4
- Psalm 60:4
- (KJV) Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may
be displayed because of the truth. Selah.
- (1611 KJV) Thou hast giuen a banner to them that feare thee: that it
may be displayed because of the trueth. Selah.
- (1587 Geneva Bible) But now thou hast giuen a banner to them that
feare thee, that it may be displayed because of thy trueth.
- (1568 Bishops Bible) But to suche as feare thee: thou hast geuen a
banner to be lyfted vp on high for the trueth sake. Selah.
- Counterfeit Versions
- (CEB) Give a flag to those who honor you, so they can rally around it,
safe from attack. Selah
- (CEV) You gave a signal to those who worship you, so they could escape
from enemy arrows.
- (1899 Douay-Rheims American Edition) for thou hast been my hope; a tower
of strength against the face of the enemy.
- (ERV) But you have provided a flag to show your faithful followers where
to gather to escape the enemy’s attack. Selah
- (ESV) You have set up a banner for those who fear you, that they may
flee to it from the bow. Selah
- (GNB) You have warned those who have reverence for you, so that they
might escape destruction.
- (HCSB) You have given a signal flag to those who fear You, so that they
can flee before the archers. Selah
- (THE MESSAGE) Then you planted a flag to rally your people, an unfurled
flag to look to for courage.
- (NCV) You have raised a banner to gather those who fear you. Now they
can stand up against the enemy. Selah
- (NIRV) But you lead into battle those who have respect for you. You give
them a flag to wave against the enemy's weapons. Selah
(2011 NIV) But for those who fear you, you have raised a banner to be
unfurled against the bow.
- (NLT) But you have raised a banner for those who fear you—a rallying
point in the face of attack.
- (RSV) Thou hast set up a banner for those who fear thee, to rally to it
from the bow. [Selah]
- (2010 NAB-Roman Catholic) Raise up a banner for those who revere you,
- a refuge for them out of bow shot. Selah (Is Placed as verse 6)
- (NWT-Jehovah’s Witnesses) You have given to those fearing you a signal
To flee zigzag on account of the bow. Se´lah.
- Hebrew Word from the Masoretic Text
- The word for “the truth” in Psalm 60:4 is the Hebrew Word “qô shet.”
It is used only one time in the Masoretic text, it is a noun and it means
“truth.” It is a variant spelling of the word “qô sht” which is also
a noun and used only once in the Text. Proverbs 22:21 (KJV) That I might
make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou
mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee? Some of
the modern versions translate it as bow, archers, escape destruction,
attack. They no doubt took this interpretation from the Septuagint.