- By Kenneth Matto, D. Min.
- DISCLAIMER: THIS CHECKLIST IS ONLY A GUIDELINE
FOR THOSE WITH MIGRAINE (OR REOCCURRING) HEADACHES WHICH SEEM TO HAVE NO MEDICAL ETIOLOGY
AND IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROPER MEDICAL ATTENTION OR TREATMENT!
- 1) IS THERE ANY INCREASE IN CAFFEINE INTAKE?
- A. Soda
- B. Candy
- C. Other
- Caffeine is an added item and is not natural in soda.
In fact, I was told by a VP in the foods business that caffeine is added to soda to get
you hooked, akin to what the cigarette manufacturers were doing with nicotine. Drink
caffeine free soft drinks.
- 2) HAS THERE BEEN AN ADDITION OR INCREASE IN
- A. Sugarless Gum
- B. Jello
- C. Other artificially sweetened products.
- Aspartame is more commonly know as Nutrasweet and has
a quality of creating migraine headaches which was brought out in FDA findings before the
product was permitted to be used for human consumption.
- 3) ARE THERE ANY NEW SMELLS OR ODORS IN THE
- A. Pets
- B. Husbands
- C. Room Deodorizers
- D. Aerosols
- An allergic reaction to an odor or smell can trigger
- 4) HAS THERE BEEN ANY CHANGE IN ROUTINE EITHER
IN EATING OR IN EXERCISE?
- When the body becomes accustomed to a certain
routine, it tends to go into an expectant mode, when the routine is broken, the body tends
to go into panic mode. For example, I had a migraine level headache every Sunday afternoon
like clockwork. It had me baffled until I realized that Monday through Saturday at 10:00
AM I have a coffee and a donut but on Sunday I was in Sunday School at that time and thus,
I broke my routine, and sometimes received a fierce headache, sometimes lasting 3 days but
mitigating after 2.
- 5) WHAT TYPE OF PILLOW DOES THE PERSON SLEEP
- A. A feather pillow may mat and cause contortions of
the neck or a muscular stretch on one side of the neck, and thus a muscular based
migraine will occur.
- B. An Orthopedic Pillow may be in order.
- 6) HAS THE PERSON BEEN CHECKED FOR TEMPORAL
MANDIBULAR JOINT SYNDROME?
- TMJ is responsible for the creation of many
headaches. Also people have a natural reaction to Amalgam fillings which contain mercury.
Mercury is a deadly poison to the body and the body is giving a signal that it rejects it.
- 7) IS THE PERSON FACING INCREASED STRESS IN
- A. Peer Pressure
- B. Parental Pressure
- C. Project Pressure ( A person might have a project
or event which may be causing stress until that project or event is over.
- 8) WHAT TYPE OF LIGHTING IS THE PERSON USING?
- A. Fluorescent lights have been known to cause
- B. Lights too bright may cause headaches
- C. Lights too low may cause eye strain causing
- 9) WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE PERSON HAD A FULL
- A. Have a Glaucoma and Field Vision Test
- B. Glasses may be needed
- C. Sometimes eyes become stronger or weaker and
prescription glasses must be adjusted accordingly
- 10) DOES THE PERSON WEAR TIGHT OR RESTRICTIVE
- Anything which constricts the flow of blood in the
body is a potential danger. The wearing of loose clothing is not only healthier but more
- 11) IS THERE AN INCREASE IN THE INTAKE OF
- A. Candy bars, soda, Kool-Aid, etc. are all basically
sugar and should be eaten sparingly
- B. Many of the so-called "Fruit and Sports
Drinks" are laden with sugar. Some of these are Corn Syrup, Fructose, and High Fructose
- 12) IS THERE AN INCREASE IN SALT?
- A. Salt is contained in almost every processed food
including Chocolate milk.
- B. Increased salt tends to cause water retention and
constricts blood vessels.
- C. Eat potato chips without salt. We get needed salt
in foods we eat. We need only mineral salts.
- I suffered from headaches which sometimes caused me to
sit in a darkened room for up to 8 hours. I know a woman who suffered from ocular
migraines on a monthly basis and we were able to find a herbal combination for her which
has reduced the frequency of those headaches to every several months. While headaches
still remain a mystery to the medical profession, there are things we can do to find out
what is causing them. Our hurried lifestyle is a ripe spawning ground for them. Sometimes
when we experience just a simple headache, maybe it is God's way of slowing us down. Think