THE HOLY SPIRIT
The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Godhead. He indwells the believer (Ephesians 5:18), He is our helper (John 16:7), and He seals us unto the day of our redemption (Ephesians 4:30). The Holy Spirit is never to be referred to as a power or force. The ministry of the Holy Spirit may be summed up as dispensing spiritual gifts to every believer and then helping them to develop the gifts for the building up of the saints and the edifying of the Body of Christ. He illuminates the Scriptures for us to understand.
Traits and Works of the Holy Spirit
1. He intercedes for the praying believer - Romans 8:27
2. He wills who gets what spiritual gifts - 1 Corinthians 12:11
3. He searches both the depths of God and the human spirit - 1 Corinthians 2:10
4. The Holy Spirit may disallow a ministry in a certain area - Acts 16:6-7
5. The Holy Spirit may allow a ministry in a certain area - Acts 16:10
6. He speaks to Christians through both the Bible and other believers - Acts 8:29;
7. Since He is a living being, He is capable of love - Romans 15:30
8. He may be grieved by our sin - Ephesians 4:30
9. He may be quenched – 1 Thessalonians 5:19
10. The Holy Spirit is a praying person - Romans 8:26
11. He inspired the Scriptures – 2 Timothy 3:16
12. He convicts the world of sin – John 16:8-11
13. He regenerates the Believer - John 3:5
14. He sets the Believer free – Romans 8:2
Deity of the Holy Spirit
1. He is omnipresent - Psalm 139:7-12
2. He is omniscient - 1 Corinthians 2:10-11
3. Hs is omnipotent - Genesis 1:2; Romans 8:11
4. He is everlasting - Hebrews 9:14
5. He is referred to as God - Acts 5:3-4
6. He is co-equal with the Father and the Son:
A. In Christ's baptismal experience - Matthew 3:16-17
B. In Christ's temptation - Matthew 4:1
C. By Paul - 2 Corinthians 13:14
D. By Peter - 1 Peter 1:2
E. By Jesus on the Mount of Olives - Matthew 28:19-20
Names and Titles of the Holy Spirit
1. The Spirit of God - Genesis 1 & 2
2. The Spirit of Christ - 1 Peter 1:11
3. The Eternal Spirit - Hebrews 9:14
4. The Spirit of Truth - John 16:13
5. The Spirit of Grace - Zechariah 12:10
6. The Spirit of Glory - 1 Peter 4:14
7. The Spirit of Life - Romans 8:2
8. The Spirit of Wisdom, Understanding, Might, Counsel, and Knowledge - Isaiah 11:2
9. The Comforter - John 14:26
10. The Spirit of Promise - Acts 1:4-5
11. The Spirit of Adoption - Romans 8:15
12. The Spirit of Holiness - Romans 1:4
13. The Spirit of Faith - 2 Corinthians 4:13
14. The Spirit of Judgment - Isaiah 4:4
15. The Spirit of the Lord God - Isaiah 61:1
16. The Spirit of Prophecy - Revelation 19:10
17. The Spirit of the Son - Galatians 4:6
The Fruits of the Spirit - Galatians 5:22-23
1. Love - The ability to overlook the sins of others.
2. Joy - The ability to worship God from the heart under adversity.
3. Peace - The ability "to be still and know that I am God" during tough times. (Psalm 46:10) According to Romans 5:1 we have peace with God.
4. Longsuffering - The ability to wait on the Lord.
5. Gentleness - The ability to put others before you in kindness and meekness.
6. Goodness - The ability to live by good moral worth, even in private.
7. Faith - The ability to believe God in all situations.
8. Meekness - The ability to be tender in spirit exhibiting no spiritual pride9. Temperance - The ability to rule over the desires of the flesh.