- Colossians 3:6
- Colossians 3:6
- (KJV) For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the
children of disobedience:
- (1611 KJV) For which things sake, the wrath of God commeth on
the children of disobedience,
- (1526 Tyndale) for which thynges sakes the wrath of God cometh
on the chyldren of vnbeleve.
- (1382 Wycliffe)for whiche thingis the wraththe of God cam on
the sones of vnbileue;
- Counterfeit Versions
- (NIV) Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
- (THE MESSAGE) It's because of this kind of thing that God is about to
explode in anger.
- (NLT) Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.
- (ESV) On account of these the wrath of God is coming.
- (NCV) These things make God angry.
- (RSV) On account of these the wrath of God is coming.
- (NAB-Roman Catholic) Because of these the wrath of God is coming (upon
- (NWT-Jehovah’s Witness) On account of those things the wrath of God is
- Textus Receptus - Traditional Text
- di a ercetai h orgh tou qeou epi touV uiouV thV apeiqeiaV
- Hort-Westcott - Critical Text
- di a ercetai h orgh tou qeou
- Corrupted Manuscripts
- This verse is corrupted in the following manuscripts:
- B 03 - Vaticanus - Fourth century
- P 46 - circa 200 AD
- Manuscripts which agree with the Textus Receptus for this verse
- Byzantine Text (450-1450 A.D.)
- Aleph 01 - Sinaiticus - Nineteenth Century Counterfeit
A 02 - Alexandrinus - Fifth century
- C 04 - Ephraemi Rescriptus - Fifth century
- D 06 - Paris: Claromontanus - Sixth century
- H 015 - Sixth century
- I 016 - Fifth century
- K 018 - Ninth century
- L 020 - Ninth century
- P 025 - Ninth century
- 33 (Minuscule) - Ninth Century
- Published Critical Greek Texts with Corruptions
- Omit “on the children of disobedience”
- Lachmann, Karl - 1842 (in brackets or margin)
- Tischendorf, Constantine - 1869
- Tregelles, Samuel - 1857
- Alford, Henry - 1849 revised in 1871
- Westcott and Hort - 1881
- Weiss, Bernhard - 1894
- Nestle - 1927 as revised in seventeenth edition in 1941
- Nestle-Aland - 1979 - Twenty Sixth Edition (in margin or brackets)
- Nestle-Aland - 1993 - Twenty Seventh Edition (in brackets)
- United Bible Societies - 1983 - Fourth Edition (in brackets)
- Affected Teaching
- This week’s omission in the modern versions attempts to hide the fact
that the wrath of God will come upon the unbelievers which are described in
this verse as “children of disobedience.” If I was a Bible mutilator I would
definitely not want a verse like this kept in its entirety. This verse
teaches that every unbeliever will come under the wrath of God. This verse
and the previous one is a warning to Christians to forsake the sins of the
flesh because it is these sins that cause the wrath of God to come upon the
unbelievers. Once again the modern versions omit needed truth but the King
James Bible does not leave us wondering.